4.



~peace of liberty

Peace of liberty. A small little badge holding an entire universe inside. For my child-self it was magic. I did not understand the context. I did not understand the words. I only understood the magic. In my eyes it was sacred. As a teenager, I found much more inside. Pride in my family, pride in their believes, pride in their actions. 

I do not know what it meant for my mum, what were her feelings, when she said those two words. Take it. I wanted to cry, scream, tell her I will make sure the world gets to know, but a simple exchange of our looks was enough. In fact it was even more.

So what is the story? It is a story full of passion, anticipation. A hope for a better tomorrow of the people living in Czechoslovakia in 1989. The fall of a regime. And a tale of a girl that prefers freedom over any other gifts for her 18th birthday. The family trip to Letná in Prague, where strangers all fighting against communism hand the girl a pin. A pin symbolising the peace of liberty. 


But don’t expect the closing credits. It is not finished yet. If you spot my jacket, the magic re-appears.

Comments

Popular Posts